Wednesday, June 4, 2008

I Love this Girl, but...



I need some good advice. Eliie has a little problem called "holding your breath syndrome" I know weird name and it sounds like something I made up, but it's not. It is an actual problem among some little toddlers. What she does is if she does not get her way and becomes really upset she screams and screams until she holds her breath and then she passes out cold on the floor. We took her to the Pediatrician and we were told that she would outgrow it about the age of three, well she stopped doing it for awhile and now the past two weeks she does it about everyday and sometimes two times a day. It seems like she is getting worse, and I feel like sometimes I just want to let her have her way because then she will stop crying, but then I am creating a monster. Sunday after church she did it again and Ken had a hard time getting her to come out of it. She passed out fell back hit her head on the tile, eyes rolled back into her head and lips turned bright purple. It scared us so much, we called 911 and then she came back out of it. When she wakes up out of it she does not remember anything at all. We have tried trying to distract her when I see it coming and she is so stubborn that it does nothing, I can't give her what she wants all the time and letting her cry about something sets her off.
Sorry, I just had to vent and see if anyone has some advice that we have not thought of yet, thanks for listening.

7 comments:

Kari said...

Oh that sounds scary! Ironically, I just read an article on this and I guess it is quite common in children and I think it said most of them outgrow it by age 5.

My kids have not ever had it, thus far anyway. Yikes, I hope she outgrows it soon for your sake!

Gordon, Jamie, Evelyn, Claire and Bonnie said...

You should record her on video when she is having a fit -- then show it to her the next time when she is about to throw another fit. Maybe she'll see how she looks on TV and not like what she looks like when she is being irrational and maybe she will want to stop. I hope she outgrows it too...I can't imagine how scared you must be when it happens.

Heidi said...

YIKES... that is so scary. I dont know what I would do. I had no idea that was an actual thing...

GOod luck with that.

Karly said...

Oh how scary, I can only imagine how hard it must be to see her do it and not be able to control it.
I've never heard of that before, and I don't have any kids, so unfortunately I don't have any ideas for you! The only thing I know is to seek the spirit and the Lord's guidance as much as you can. I'm sure you are already, but that's the only advice I have. :) Go to the temple when you can and find more ways to invite the spirit into your home. Maybe it will be just for comfort, or an idea or answer may come to you, but good luck and we'll remember you guys in our prayers right now too!

Kiera said...

That is scary! I hope my kids don't do that. I would freak out!

Valerie said...

Wow, I've never heard of that before. And thus I have no good advice to give. I hope she outgrows it soon!

korie said...

OK so Avery and Eli are like to peas in a pod. But, we haven't had to live through this. Best of luck with this one!